We must take advetures.

We must take advetures.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Cinque Terre

I have been waiting to visit Cinque Terre since I found out I was going to Italy. I really just wanted to visit so I can take pictures like the ones I've seen online. Luckily, I discovered a company called Bus2alps that allows study abroad students to come together and travel throughout Europe, one of their destinations being Cinque Terre!

Cinque Terre is region of 5 really cute, colorful villages on the coast;  Riomaggiore, Manarola,  Corniglia, Vernazza, & Monterosso al Mare. There is a train that you can take between each village or you can hike to get to each village. The total hiking time to get from the first village to the fifth village is 9 hours.


Again, it was a cold, rainy day, but at least this time we were with 30 other college students. We had to wake up at 5:30 am, but we were able to sleep on the 2 hour bus ride. When we arrived we split up into a couple of groups, the group who wanted to explore town and go shopping & the group who wanted to hike a muddy trail (obviously we went into town).

The trail between the first village (Riomaggiore) & the second village (Manarola) is called the Via Dell'Amore, which means the way of love. The trail is covered with locks; couple bring them as a sign that their love is locked forever (too bad my roommates and I forgot our locks, maybe next time). The wall along the Via Dell'Amore is covered in graffiti, drawings, and people's signatures. Good thing I brought a pen so we were able to leave our mark.

Cinque Terre is known for its pesto sauce and focaccia bread, so of course we had to try them both. While we were in Vernazza we went to the cutest family owned restaurant. All of us ordered the same meal, Trofie al Pesto, and of course we ate it all. We then tried the focaccia bread in the next village, Monterosso al Mare. Pomodori e formaggi (tomato & cheese) focaccia bread was sooo good! 


Even though it was raining, we made the most of it. I was able to take pretty pictures, eat yummy food, try the best hot chocolate, and meet some cool people. I even managed to find my future husband (give him about 10 years).


1 comment: